Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Exercise Your Right of Way

Exercise Your Right of Way

I was driving through San Francisco about a month ago, looking for parking and got caught up on several one-way streets just trying to get where I needed to go. Expecting it, and used to it by now, I just sat back, trying to remember the street I needed to turn on to put me out of my temporary misery. As I drove through one city block and onto another, it struck me that pedestrians just walked out into the street, many without looking.

Now, everyday I read the San Francisco Chronicle online, and every week, it seems, some poor pedestrian has either been struck by, dragged by, or dragged under some vehicle, usually a public transportation vehicle. And, whenever I am a pedestrian in the city, I stay far away from the curb when I’m waiting for the signal to walk, and even when I’m venturing into that crosswalk, I wait to see if anybody is going to come flying around the corner in their automobile. Unlike R. Kelly, I don’t believe I can fly, and I’m not interested in finding out if I can or not. I’m especially careful when on foot because I know how hard it is to see people darting out from the sidewalk in the best of circumstances.

But there they are, many wearing colors that blend into the concrete and the surroundings, just walking out into the street, either on faith, or sheer stupidity. You realize that it doesn’t matter which mind state, right? Because once a moving car takes a chunk out of your behind, there’s no turning back. Had it not been for one man’s hot pink hair, one particular afternoon in the city, my car’s bumper and his uh, bumper if you will, would have merged to become one. I had never seen any body with hot pink hair jump so high, and as much as it frightened us both, I apologized and made sure to keep a closer eye out for folks.

Lawyers in San Francisco must make a killing, I suppose a lot like ny lawyers. These two cities, like many other large ones, are all a-buzz with pedestrians, taxi drivers, bicycle couriers, and traffic, traffic, traffic. Lots of incidents, small and large, are sure to jump off every hour on the hour. Everybody is interested in exercising their right-of-way, and some even take it a step further and just believe that it’s their right-of-way in any and all circumstances. I wouldn’t exactly risk my well being just to get to the other side of the street, but I realize that not everyone thinks that way. So in the meantime, when I’m braving the streets of San Francisco, I’ll have to keep my third eye for jaywalkers peeled.

Chandra Adams
Author
Shades of Retribution
www.AdrolitePress.com
www.ChandraAdams.com
www.NorthBayMediaReview.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home