Tuesday, February 14, 2006

No Smiles Cheney

No Smiles Cheney

Cheney really scares me. It’s not because of Halliburton, or the fact that he shot a 78 year-old companion while on a quail-killing excursion. It’s not because he’s a part of one of the most questionable administrations to plague the White House in a while, either.
And it’s not because he’s had serious heart trouble himself since 1978. Well, alright, the fact that he scares me has a lot to do with all of these things, but that’s still not exactly it.
The truth is, I get a cold chill that runs from the top of my head and all the way down my back every time I see Dick Cheney on television.
In all these years in the public eye, I have never once seen Dick Cheney smile. It could be that his non-smiling is more noticeable in contrast to the uh, let’s say, boyish grin that George W. Bush always seems to have planted on his face. I dunno. But I’ll tell you, images of Star War’s Anakin as he made his descent to the dark side override my senses every time I see that plain mug of his, void of any real human emotion.
I’m sure that everyone is raking him over the coals today for shooting that poor old guy and giving him a heart attack. I know it was probably an accident, albeit a strange one and one that could have definitely been avoided. But what does it mean when one doesn’t smile, not even for the media?
Let us give him the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps no one ever taught him how to smile, or never defined a smile for him. Maybe, just maybe, he is actually giving us a Cheney-smile as he trails Bush around from building to building, from Air Force One to press conference after press conference. Now that’s a scary thought, isn’t it? Well just to be sure, I looked up the meaning of the word smile in The American Heritage Dictionary. Smile is categorized as follows: A facial expression characterized by an upward curving of the corners of the mouth and indicating pleasure, amusement, or derision. So, I guess that theory didn’t work.
Then, I’ve considered the notion that if I had experienced heart trouble for the past twenty years or so, would I be all smiles? I’m not so sure, so I’ll give him a little credit. But don’t they say that laughter is the best medicine? If it is, and I believe that it is, wouldn’t the virtues of a simple smile be akin to that old saying? I obviously have a lot of questions on the matter. But for the life of me, I just don’t get the no-smiling thing. I understand that he probably feels like he has the weight of the world on his shoulders, and now that he’s being portrayed as an irresponsible, untrustworthy liability to the president, I doubt that we’ll ever see one. And what a shame, because it probably is quite a pretty smile. (I don’t believe that I just wrote that either).
The last consideration to the question of no-smiles is dental health. Is he toting around a few wooden teeth? Or, maybe he has a penchant for gold teeth and has gold fronts, which we all know wouldn’t go over too well with his White House crew.
Although I’m sure the lack of smiles was the last thing on Cheney’s list today, one wonders if all of his troubles began with the absence of them. Smiling, even if it just a show to the world, is a positive affirmation of hope, of good days ahead and good days in the past. If one is having a bad day, when you can find even the smallest thing to smile about, half your battles are over. When I see him walking around numb and lifeless, I feel like the world is full of trouble. Either his demeanor is a reflection of the reality he has created, or a sign that his own world is void of any happiness. If he makes it through this latest media trial, I hope he can go somewhere, take a seat in the sun, and just smile.

Chandra Adams
Author
Shades of Retribution
www.AdrolitePress.com
www.ChandraAdams.com
www.NorthBayMediaReview.com
www.AdrolitePress.Blogspot.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home