Saturday, June 02, 2007

American Idol Withdrawal

American Idol Withdrawal

Every year about the same time I experience a sense of loss and confusion. Programmed internally to park it on the sofa and turn the television on every Tuesday night at 8 PM and Wednesday night at 9 PM, I find that I no longer know what to do with myself now that my weekly dose of American Idol will be administered.

You know this situation started out easily enough a few years ago. At first skeptical about the show, I was drawn in by the poor performers during the search in each city for the singers who would go to Hollywood. Then, the emotional roller coaster began as the top ten were chosen. All of my friends got involved and every Tuesday night after the show and every Wednesday morning I would find an inbox full of emails from around the country about the performance the night before. Every year we swear we won’t get so involved the next year, and every year we repeat the same behaviors.

I think I’m starting to recover though – I didn’t watch the finale, and instead enjoyed a phone conversation with an old friend without the television playing in the background, distracting me. Perhaps next season I will have the strength to even resist the simultaneous call of the remote control and pretend that AI doesn’t exist – maybe.

Chandra Adams
Author
Shades of Retribution
Producer
North Bay Media Review


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home