Sunday, January 31, 2010

Tree Lover

This my first published poem.

When I cut several limbs from your tree
you cried
tapped into hysteria
stood ground at my front porch and threatened me
letters even found their way under my doormat to greet me each morning
I offered heartfelt apology to you and the precious tree
you denied and refused and waged war
Dearest neighbor I must admit
your love for those tree limbs is unprecedented
you cried as if I severed your arm
as you spewed forth rumors of my deed
like blood gushing uncontrollably from an artery
your hysteria brought to mind the story of a woman
who lifted an automobile to rescue her infant
the threat, our parting words that Saturday afternoon
made me realize
that you share a deep intimacy with that tree.
Which leads me to wonder
What the hell is wrong with you?
Do these tree limbs severed represent love lost?
Is that tree your only friend in the world?
What void does your rift with me replace?
I pray for you and for me every night
as a neighbor should
Tree woman find peace and love.


Copyright Chandra Adams 2006

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home