Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Thoughts on Cormac McCarthy Interview

Thoughts on Cormac McCarthy Interview

When asked by Oprah Winfrey if he cared whether people read his work or not, Cormac McCarthy answered ‘no’.

No? Well if he doesn’t care, why bother publishing it? That’s my first question. I can understand his other viewpoints, as far as not wanting to be interviewed on television and so on and so forth. I thought the interview was a little boring, but he was otherwise very interesting to me and I may even decide to check his book out at some point. As of this writing, he ranks #19 on Amazon’s book list and I’m sure he will continue to remain at the top for quite some time.

Earlier this morning I thought about just how lonely writing can be, and it may be why I’ve distanced myself from it from time to time. What I find even more lonely though is trying to establish one’s self in the marketplace. I say any advantage you have, take it. Writing in my opinion, is meant to be shared, unless you’re keeping a personal journal. Writing encourages thought, discussion, perspective and formation of opinion. To write and not care if other people read it to me is different, even Oprah thought so judging from her reaction to his statement. Nevertheless, that type of character displayed in McCarthy is the exact type that creates the masterpieces and standards in our society. Reclusive and mysterious, like Prince in many ways, is part of what makes him so sought after.

Chandra Adams
Author
Shades of Retribution
Producer
North Bay Media Review

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home