Wednesday, June 06, 2007

The Artist In You

The Artist In You

I just finished watching our local station V-CAT Comcast Channel 27 here in Vallejo and caught the tail end of a discussion with Harold Beaulieu about the importance of art in our communities. He made the important distinction that art is important as far as creativity is concerned, in that we would still be trying to figure out how to make fire if it wasn’t for creativity.

That made me think about how far down our educational system here in California has gone down – no mystery to anyone who walks, talks and thinks. Usually the first to go are arts programs, and then some people wonder why our children act so crazy these days. I’m going to involve my own personal experience with creativity for a moment. If I can’t find a creative outlet on a regular basis, I can sometimes feel like I am going to go insane. I have to be doing something with my hands – gardening, knitting, crocheting, writing, I’ve even ventured into making furniture and am quite proud of an ottoman I made a few years ago and still use. My creative outlets do more than just produce something, they give me balance and often help me find solutions to other problems or challenges in my daily life. Sometimes I even view those outlets as a sort of meditation, and without them, I’d feel bottled up and frustrated indeed.

I’ve noticed that the least creative of our species could care less about arts programs for anyone, let alone those dwindling programs for children because it takes one creative mind to truly understand another. Harold Beaulieu, Art Commissioner for Contra Costa County is increasingly at the forefront of keeping art programs alive in the bay area and is focused enough on this goal to make a difference. Hopefully over time his efforts will gain enough recognition that others around the country can use his model to restore balance in education through the arts in our schools.

Chandra Adams
Author
Shades of Retribution
Producer
North Bay Media Review

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home