Friday, December 26, 2008

My Toes Is Froze

My Toes Is Froze
It was cold today, really cold. Supposedly 47 degrees in San Francisco at lunchtime, it felt a lot more like 30 degrees. My feet grew colder as I marched closer to my lunch with the wind whipping my coat open and my scarf toward the sky. I realize that anyone reading this outside of California might not feel much pity for me -- but this is California! I did expect at least a little lunchtime sunshine. I suppose my complaint wouldn’t be so bitter even, but I didn’t really get a break today from the cold until I came home from work. I think my office was almost as cold as it was outside. I bundled up in my wrap, but it was too late, the chill had already seeped into my bones. It was the same cold I felt when, in a meeting in the afternoon, I realized that some people are never going to change.
You may ask, why would someone need to change? Why indeed. Perhaps I am the one that needs to change. Even though I know better, I tend to spend an inordinate amount of time trying to figure out why someone is the way they are. This is me after dealing with a particularly obnoxious person, “I wonder why they said that”, or “I wonder if they realize that they were so rude”, or “I wonder if they had a bad childhood or traumatic life experience” and the list goes on as I kick myself for not laying down the law when I had the opportunity. What a waste of precious time on my part.
Truth be told, I can display a pretty nasty temper. I learned this as a younger woman and have learned to keep my emotions in check and my mouth shut to keep from making a bad situation worse. There are times now when I wish I had rolled my eyes and my neck and told someone exactly what was on my mind at the time of the offense, but in hindsight I am glad that I kept my cool. Some people and really very few situations are worth completely losing it.
So much of life in terms of quality is how you choose to look at situations and events. Life is so short, and the older I get I realize the less time I have to waste emotions on situations that really will resolve themselves. As I returned home I tried to shake off the day’s issues in my mind, and they eventually left me. But what did take too long to leave was the cold in my feet and in my head until I realized that I had about 3 hours to live out my leisure life before it was time to go to bed and return to work. Now Ray Charles and friends are on the television singing Christmas songs, and I think I’m going to go take in every melody and the warmth they can bring.

Chandra Adams
chandraadams.com
adrolitpress.com
northbaymediareview.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home